Monday, July 27, 2009

WEEK 37


37. ATLANTIC CITY, dir. LOUIS MALLE, 1981

LA TRUITE is one of the stranger films I have seen in recent memory, though it was compelling throughout, in no small part due to Ms. Huppert (I second the love, Sasha). I've rerun certain elements of the film in my mind--her "PEUT-ETRE JAMAIS" shirt, the trout handling, the ending lines in particular. I am honestly at a loss. I can't decide whether it was important or forgettable, though I think I might have experienced it as both in about 30-70 proportion. Perhaps this is one to revisit (and Joseph Losey in general).

THIS WEEK: My love for Louis Malle has grown up in the past couple of years. Here's one I've never seen.

1 comment:

SASHA said...

yeah, i'm with you on la truite. i looooved her peut-etre/jamais shirt, totally dug the trout throwing scene, the end. there were so many moments when i felt like, do i like or dislike this movie? what is going on? at a certain point near to the end i thought, uh-uh. then the end came and i was like, oh, maybe.
i need to watch it again. besides knowing isabelle huppert was in it, i had no idea what i was in for, which is probably as it should be, but with that film it made me feel almost freefalling, moat-less, few things to grasp, like i was swimming upstream the whole time. er....
aside from that, jarek and i both agreed, that flashback long red wig was pretty intense (read: awful).
atlantic city. seen, but long ago, my memory is a big blur. verrrry happy to re-watch (as usual).
p.s. your blog just gets better and better. great posts and rockin' header.